Commercial Safety Window Film Installation Toronto
Surprise the Intruder with a window that cracks but does not break when hit. Window security film by MADICO, and SafetyZone® by HANITA can give the authorities more time to get to your business! Prevent a smash and grab from your business and add a tint for added privacy. Combine security window film with a glass break detector on your alarm and be doubly protected! Save energy and electricity too! Additional advantages of window security film include energy conservation by keeping cool air in during the summer and heat during the winter. Protect your possessions by reducing sun ultra-violet (UV) damage to interior floors, carpets and furniture. Whether you are concerned about burglary, accidents or even weather, installing security window film from PROTECTION PLUS® in your Toronto home or business can give you peace of mind at a very affordable price.
What is security film?
Safety and security window films are unique polyester blend of material made into films of varying thicknesses with different strengths. The films are applied to glass and glazing to hold them together if the glass is shattered (similar to laminated glass). The difference between film and laminated glass is that these Shatter Safe films can be applied to the glass or glazing after manufacture or installation; it is a retrofit product. These films are used widely all over the world; they can be found on trains, buses, cars, office towers, and increasingly in residential homes.
Types of Security Window Film
Security window film consists of one or more layers of polyester film, laminated together with special adhesives. Security window film typically ranges in thickness from 4 mils (100 microns) to 14 mils (350 microns) or more. Thicker films are usually constructed by laminating multiple layers of thinner film together. Different types of films and adhesives are used depending on the characteristics desired in the finished product. Security window film is packaged in rolls of varying widths, the most common being 36 in., 48 in., 60 in., and 72 in. The length of film on a roll usually varies between 50 and 100 feet.
In general, the thicker the film is, the stronger it is. As the thickness of the film increases, the degree of break strength, tear strength, and puncture strength also increases. Thicker film usually costs more due to the greater amount of materials needed and the additional manufacturing time required.
For most security applications, 10 mils to 14 mil thickness film are commonly used. Thinner films are often used when the primary reason for installing the film is for tinting or solar protection. Thicker films are used in higher threat environments where additional security protection is needed.
Madico -The Clear Choice for Commercial Window Film
Commercial Window Film Benefits
Madico window film protects your employees, occupants, furniture and bottom line, while enhancing the appearance of the building.
Safety & Security Films
Protect Your Building and Those in It with Safety & Security Film
By gluing broken glass together, our window safety laminate film will stop and slow smashing and grabbing, because they can’t get in quickly and will plunder illegally entered spaces.
Natural Disasters and Accidents
Did you know that one square foot of glass can produce up to 200 deadly, sharp fragments? Madico’s safety and protective film is the most effective line of defense against the risk of damage and the power of Mother Nature.
Blast Mitigation Film
The International Window Film Association said, “Research conducted after the explosion pointed out that flying and broken glass is one of the main causes of death or injury.” Madico’s shock-absorbing film is specially designed to resist broken glass and hold it together.
The replacement cost of windows and glass damaged by graffiti can be high, especially if they are repeatedly damaged. Free Graffiti Free film allows you to simply replace the film instead of using stained windows or glass to reduce costs.
Save On Energy Bills
By removing up to 86% of the solar heat, our solar control window film can greatly reduce the cost of air conditioning in warm months and reflect the heat back to the building in winter.
Increased Temperature Control
We ended the office thermostat battle. The use of solar control window film on windows can reduce heat absorption inside the building, thereby helping to regulate the temperature difference between sunny and cool areas of the building.
Protect Against Fading
The daylight control window film reflects almost 100% of the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays to help reduce the fading of indoor furnishings and merchandise, thereby saving replacement costs
Embracing natural light can save the cost of artificial lighting, but it comes with glare, which can cause fatigue and reduce productivity. Our sunscreen film blocks glare while allowing natural light to pass through the glass.
Improve Exterior Appearance
Install reflective window film to eliminate visual confusion, make the appearance of the building more attractive, and customize the internal appearance of the glass.
Madico commercial films are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty in North America. Ask the dealer.
Privacy & Decorative
Install window privacy protection film to create a unique meeting space to complement the design of the building.
Want privacy? We offer select decorative films that block up to 100% of light transmission.
The decorative film can be cut into a unique pattern and design to fit the existing layout of the building. This will create a unique atmosphere that welcomes customers and motivates employees.
The installation of decorative window film is an affordable alternative to etched or frosted privacy glass. For a small fee, the window film application can create the same atmosphere, allowing companies to invest in other areas.
UPGRADE YOUR BUSINESS’ PROTECTION WITH SAFETYZONE® WINDOW FILM BY HANITA!
With over 30 years of field experience in Israel, Hanita Coatings has become a world leader in the development and manufacture of safety and security window films. Hanita’s security solutions protect government, commercial, residential, medical and school buildings across the globe.
SafetyZone® safety and security films are renowned for their optical clarity and cleanliness — the result of top-grade polyester, Hanita’s proprietary transparent adhesive, and its strict adherence to demanding ISO 9001 quality assurance. Accredited to the most stringent international glass safety standards, SafetyZone films are the professional installer’s choice, delivering performance, price, and installation-friendly flexibility.
SafetyZone Safety and Security window films hold shattered glass in place, delivering shard protection and minimizing the threat of glass-related injuries resulting from impact, collision, blast or natural disaster.
Installation of Security Window Film
Security window film is most commonly installed on a retrofit basis on the inside of existing windows. The installation is done at the job site and involves the cutting and applying of the film to the surface of the glass of each window. The film is attached using a special adhesive and must be carefully installed to eliminate creases and air bubbles. Correctly installing security window film requires a high degree of skill and is generally done by professional installers.
To make the film useful to prevent the glass from merely falling in one piece when hit, a bead of speciality caulking is then applied around all four edges of the film, creating a tight bond between the film and the window frame. The use of adhesive sealant can harm the appearance of the window, mainly if poorly installed. This is where using a professional for installation will have a positive impact.
Why would a person choose to install security window film?
Any building, whether commercial or residential, may have glassed-in areas that are vulnerable to breakage due to an attempted forced entry or smash and grab. The application of window film enhances the security of standard window glass. Security window film is used to improve the security of regular window glass.
When properly applied, security window can provide the following benefits:
- Security window film can increase the strength of the window, which can delay or prevent entry by a burglar.
- Security window film can reduce injuries caused by flying glass when the window is shattered. This could occur because of an accident, an act of vandalism, a bomb blast, or a natural disaster.
- Certain types of security window film can provide additional benefits, including a reduction in UV penetration that causes fading of furniture, hardwood floors, artwork etc.
- Security film is also used on glass doors in schools, glass table tops, etc., to prevent potential injury from broken shards.
Tips for the Use of Security Window Film
- The decision to use or not use security window film should only be made after a comprehensive security assessment has been conducted. The security assessment should provide guidance as to where security window film should be used, and establish the appropriate type of security film.
- Choose a reputable local installation contractor to install your security window film. Window film is a long-term solution, you want it to be done right the first time.
- Any type of anchored security window film installation is only as strong as the window frame itself. In some cases, reinforcement or replacement of the window frames may be required in order to provide the desired level of protection.
- In some cases, windows may already have tinted or solar window films installed upon them. These films typically do not provide any significant protection against intrusion or bomb blast and may need to be removed from the windows prior to the installation of security window film.
- Security window film is not bullet-resistant. If your facility requires protection against bullets, consider the use of bullet-resistant glass and other materials.
- Intrusion alarm (burglar alarm) systems make use of glass breakage sensors to detect when a window has been broken. These can include sensors that mount on the glass itself, as well as acoustical sensors that are mounted to the walls or ceilings and listen for the sounds of breaking glass. The use of security window film may reduce the effectiveness of these sensors – be sure to notify your alarm company prior to installing window film and test all sensors for proper operation after the film has been installed.
Added benefits of Window film
- Window film does not need to be stored or moved, unlike blinds or shutters. It is always offering you a level of protection twenty four hours a day.
- Unlike window bars, clear security film does not alter the look of your window. If you want to maintain the architectural look of your building, but still have physical protection, window film may be for you.
- Safety, as our climate changes and we have more severe storms, the window film may also keep flying debris and tree branches from shattering glass.
Potential problems of window film
- Tinted films can change the exterior appearance of a building, by darkening windows or causing a mirror effect.
- The thickest of the clear security films, 12, 14 mil or higher can cause a visual distortion on windows and doors.
- Tinted films slow the dissipation of heat through the glass causing expansion which sometimes can result in cracks in the glass
- While using dark tinted film can help with preventing heat gain, the energy savings are often negated by the need to use interior lighting due to the darkness.
- Improper installation by amateurs or “do it your selfers “ can result in film that does not adhere to the glass properly making it ineffective or resulting in bubbles or peeling.
- Apply film when the temperature is between 40°F and 90°F and has been for at least three days prior to application.
- Insure the inside of the windows have been thoroughly cleaned a few days prior to installation.
- Do not apply residential films to plastic or Plexiglas surfaces.
- Do not apply any film to frosted, etched, leaded, cracked, holed, or deeply scratched glass, or any otherwise flawed or defective glass or glass that is over 40 years old.
Security film Myth busters:
- Window film does NOT prevent glass from breaking or cracking, but it does hold the pieces together to keep the window or door intact until it can be replaced or repaired.
- Window film does NOT make glass bullet proof, specialized glass is required for this purpose.
- Clear security film will NOT add insulation value to windows, but it does greatly reduce harmful UV penetration.
- Window film can be installed on any window? Unfortunately no, there are limits, generally the windows have to be flat, clear glass, in good condition.
- Windows with film can be cleaned the same as regular glass? NO, as film is a polyester product more care is required. Do not use the blue “Windex with Ammonia-D” or any blue colored cleaners because they usually have ammonia in them. We suggest using Vinegar Windex (Green), or any of the citrus Windex’s. There are other cleaners made specifically for tinted windows such as “Ammonia-Free Spray Away-Foam Spray,” which work very well. You can also use soap and water, vinegar and water, or really anything without ammonia or abrasives.
Solar, tinted, privacy window films
Nothing adds life to your home more than great natural light, but it’s also possible to have too much of a good thing. With natural sunlight comes unwanted heat and hotspots, which can really affect your overall comfort and make for a less inviting atmosphere. Solar Gard films reject up to 79% of solar energy – providing you greater temperature stability and comfort while reducing solar heat gain and bothersome glare. Frosted films and Privacy window films can be useful at entry doors or washrooms where privacy is desired.
Professionally installed, Solar Gard window film comes in a range of products to fit all your solar protection needs:
- Provide extraordinary solar control with a subtle grey finish from the outside
- Patented metallized films that provide superior heat protection hot climates
- Feature a glorious exterior copper finish that makes them a natural compliment to many landscapes
- Constructed of metals such as gold, silver and bronze for optimum privacy with minimal heat
- Protects from solar heat in the summer and also keeps interior heat inside during the winter