The holiday season is in full swing. Malls are packed, decorations are up and gatherings are being planned. Plus, with snow on the ground it looks to be a white Christmas. The holiday season is that time of year where a lot is going on, from decorating the house to preparing a feast. However, this time, try to enjoy the holiday while being safe. Here are 12 tips on holiday safety to keep you and your family safe this holiday season!
- If you’re using a freshly cut tree for Christmas, make sure that it is mounted in a stand and is watered continuously to prevent it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard. If you’re using an artificial tree, make sure it’s fire resistant.
- If you’re on a vacation, make burglars think that someone is home by using pre-set timers on your lights inside your home and motion sensor lights outside.
- Before going away on vacation, be careful who you share your holiday plans with. Be alert of suspicious people who may be hearing your conversation.
- Use your alarm system at all times, even if you’re going out for a quick errand.
- If you have an alarm system from PROTECTION PLUS, take advantage of the Total Connect, Smart Monitoring and check in on your home even on the go.
- When using your fireplace, do not use any flammable materials, such as gift wrappings or any other packaging items as they burn a lot faster and generate a large amount of heat.
- This season, keep candles, matches and any fire starting equipment out of reach from children.
- Before hanging any Christmas lights, inside or outside the home, inspect the lights for any faulty wires or cracks. Replace these parts before installing and make sure all lights that are being used are approved by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Keep all doors and windows locked before going out or to bed. Be sure to utilize a deadbolt lock on all the main entrances. If you don’t have one, install one.
- Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are all in working condition this season. Replace the batteries or the detectors themselves to make sure they are working at full capacity.
- Do not drink and drive this holiday season. Have someone give you a ride, take public transit or call for a cab.
- Inspect the outside of your home. Put away all sharp and heavy objects that could be used to break into your home.
This holiday season should be one that is enjoyed with family and friends, creating memories that will last a lifetime. From all of us at PROTECTION PLUS, wishing everyone a very Happy Holidays!!