Just as we can prevent forest fires, we can also prevent house fires. We are responsible for what goes on in our homes and it’s our duty to prevent our abode from going up in flames. Try these eight ways to prevent house fires and ensure your home remains intact.
- Check, Check, Check
- Keep the Flames Away
- Dry the Dryer
- Avoid Overextending
- Don’t be Greasy
- Teach your Kids
- Butt out Properly
Your heating system needs to be serviced regularly by a professional. Unless you know everything there is to know about chimneys or furnaces, let a professional make sure your heating system is up to code. Faulty heating is often the cause of house fires and it is important to have your system checked at least once a year.
Gasoline, paint thinners, and other highly flammable materials or liquids need to be kept in their proper containers and away from ignition sources. Do not store these items in your garage. If you have a shed, this is the best place to keep these items.
After each use, remove the lint from your dryer’s filter. When the filter becomes clogged, the dryer cannot work effectively and airflow is reduced. A reduction in airflow causes heat to build up in the dryer’s vents and pushes the lint onto the heating coils. This is dangerous and can cause a fire.
Extension cords can become damaged due to foot traffic, furniture moving, and pets. Damaged extension cords are a fire hazard so check all cords for breaks and turn them off when they’re not in use.
When cooking with oils and fatty substances like bacon, be careful to wipe up any splatter that occurs. Fat and oil can get into your burners and cause a fire very quickly.
If you have young children it is beneficial to explain fire safety. You can look online to find fire safety charts and materials that are geared towards kids, or visit your local fire station. The earlier you educate your young ones about fire safety, the better.
Make sure all smoking materials are properly extinguished. Use an ashtray and do not flick your smoke on the ground or in a plant to put it out. If need be, run your butt under water to ensure it is no longer active. Smokes that aren’t fully extinguished can smolder for days before you notice them.